Eastern Washington Medical-Dental Health Summit VII
Friday March 6, 2020, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Medical Dental Summit – Integrating Medicine and Dentistry
Pasco Red Lion, Pasco WA
7.0 Hours CE Credits
EVENT SUMMARY – FRIDAY MARCH 6, 2020
The Eastern Washington Medical-Dental Health Summit is a unique continuing education event, bringing together health professionals, health educators, administrators and policy makers – to improve health in our region. Leading authorities will present the latest research along with practical solutions that enable physicians and dentists to work together to deliver better healthcare to their patients and the community.
The literature and clinical experience confirm the importance of understanding the connections that unite medicine and dentistry. This seminar will focus on the emerging relationships between the mouth and the body and the importance of patient co-management between medical and dental health disciplines.
Program: Friday – March 6, Pasco Red Lion
|8:00am – 10:00am||Multi-disciplinary Co-management of Cancer||Danko Martincic, MD|
|10:00am – 10:30am||BREAK and EXHIBITS|
|10:30am – 12:00pm||Management of Oral Tethered Tissues||Andrew Mohlman, DDS
Marie McElderry, RDH
|12:00pm – 1:00pm||LUNCH and EXHIBITS|
|1:00pm – 2:30pm||Oral Health, Pregnancy and Metabolic Pathways||Neil Rawlins, MD|
|2:30pm – 3:00pm||BREAK and EXHIBITS|
|3:00pm – 4:00pm||Oral Surgery Update; Oral Complications and Management of Cancer Treatment; MRONJ||Ryan Toponce, DMD|
|4:00pm – 4:30pm||Providing Dental Clearance / Q&A / Panel Discussion||Lee Ostler DDS|
Program Learning Objectives:
At the end of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe recent advances in common oral surgery, dental implants and bone grafting.
- Describe the prevention and management of osteonecrosis of the jaw.
- Understand the use of bisphosphonates and newer classes of anti-angiogenic chemotherapy medications for treatment of cancers.
- Describe the impact of bisphosphonates and antiangiogenic cancer drugs on bone health and the risks and impact for osteonecrosis complications.
- Understand how to prepare and co-manage patients for medical oncology treatment procedures.
- Understand the concerns involved in providing care to cancer patients, including the risks for bisphosphonate and medication-related osteonecrosis complications.
- Describe effective treatment planning, treatment strategies and precautions for patients being treated for osteoporosis or cancer.
- Describe how to provide dental clearance for patients preparing for bisphosphonate or cancer chemotherapy.
- Describe metabolic pathways and their role in health.
- Discuss considerations from having dysfunctional metabolic pathways and their impact on oral and general health.
- Describe concerns for pregnancy as it relates to oral health and how to better co-manage patients seeking to become pregnant, or who are pregnant.
- Describe the impact of tethered oral tissues on children, growth and development and airway.
- Understand how to screen and treat or refer tongue and lip ties – tethered oral tissues.
- Describe the benefits from myofunctional management of correcting tethered tissue prior to and following surgical correction.
Continuing Education Credit
Friday, March 6, 2020 8:00 am – 5:00 pm 7.0 Hr CE Credits